On the coldest day of the year, I decided it was time to put together a list of goals for my 2010 Square Foot Garden. We’ve hit bottom (I hope) and all uphill to spring now.
1. Grow More Heirlooms - I have always had a nice selection of heirloom tomatoes, but didn’t use heirloom or vintage varieties for my other vegetables. My favorite heirloom tomatoes are Cherokee Purple, Riesentraube, and Kellogg’s Breakfast. I plan on using heirloom from everything from my lettuce, to my peppers, and even my carrots. The two main sources I use for seeds are Baker Creek (www.rareseeds.com) and Sand Hill Preservation (www.SandHillPreservation.com).
2. Start Early - This has always been a goal, but I am going to work hard to get it done this year. I have missed some great cool weather vegetables growing time the last few years. In addition to early lettuces and cauliflower, I want to get jump start on a few tomato plants. I am going to a wall of water for the first time this year.
3. More Herbs - This has been the most neglected item I can grow that we use a lot of. I am going to focus on Basil, Dill, Mint, and Rosemary. I plan to use heirloom varieties of these herbs (see goal #1).
4. Pickles - I am going to have Dill, I might as well put it to good use.
5. Grow Something New - I am leaning toward peanuts, but still need to do some additional research. The backup plan is eggplant. Not exciting, but new to me.
6. Use my compost - I have made it over the last two years, but didn’t take full advantage of it. I am going to make more and use more in 2010.
7. Flowers - I will start and use more flowers in my garden and around the yard this year. Last year was the worst year for flowers for me…I will rebound in 2010
8. Have Fun - I will have fun with the garden. The kids have been picking out things to grow. I might even have them have a grow their own 4×4 Square Foot Garden.
2010 will be a great gardening if I meet some of the goals and the weather cooperates. Good luck with your Square Food Garden.